Thursday, November 13, 2008

Many Hats

I think all moms wear many hats (dads too, for that matter), and I'm no exception!

This morning I started with my "mom" hat. Tim and the kids are traveling to Kentucky to a cattle show this weekend, and I was running through my own checklist with the kids this morning, asking if they'd remembered pajamas, underwear (Cody rolled his eyes at that!), shampoo, and so on. Since they're flying they were working to minimize their luggage as much as possible.

After a few "looks" (anyone who has or has ever had teenagers knows the "look") and eye-rolls from the kids, I concentrated on preparing to wear my nurse hat for my shift with my private duty patient. I enjoy my patient and her family and I am so blessed to have a job that fits into the other aspects of my family and life so well.

Tim picked the kids up at school so they could go to the airport, and since I had errands in Columbus anyway I met them at school for one more hug (Cody checked to be sure none of his friends were watching . . . Morgan was generous with long and tight hugs, and so was Tim!) and to wish them a safe, fun, and successful trip.

Then I put on my "errand" hat and did a few things around Columbus (see next post for details on what I shopped for).

My mom called as I was on my way home, and it was so nice to talk with her and catch up with what's happening in Missouri, where mom and dad and grandpa live. As an added treat, my dad called later! We don't get to talk very often so it was great that he called.

By the time I got home it was time for the "feed the animals" hat--namely, Morgan's sheep and the dogs.

Now, it's finally time to put on my "newspaper publisher and editor" hat! I'm working on some records and writing and mailing a Christmas letter to all of the advertisers, subscribers, and sponsors. I love reviewing our year and writing a Christmas letter, and this year was FULL of changes and momentous happenings.

If you are interested in the Nebraska Family Times, or this blog, please e-mail me (at shelly@shellyburke.net) with your name and address. I'll send you a sample issue of the paper AND our Christmas letter.

I am blessed to have the time and opportunity to wear so many hats! And I hope you enjoy your own hats as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!