“What gain has the worker from his toil? …I perceived that there is nothing better for them to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God’s gift to man.”
Ecclesiastes 3:9, 12-13
We do not know what our lives will bring. We do know that there will be heart ache, and heart break. There will be stress and sadness. And some days will seem long, tedious and even boring.
But we also know that the years God grants us here on earth are nothing compared to what we will have, living in eternity with the Lord.
But God does not intend us to live unhappily here on earth. He wants us to have fun! He wants us to be joyful in what we are doing! He wants us to take pleasure in eating and drinking (not to excess of course!) He wants us to take pleasure in our toil. It is His gift to us—that we will be joyful in our daily lives.
Here are a few things I am joyful about today:
- Hearing the birds sing and only wearing a light sweatshirt when I walked Jenny (the beagle) early this morning.
- Finding out that the “zinging” pain in my tooth was just a “strained ligament”—not a cracked tooth or broken filling as I feared—not treatment required (but no more chewing my favorite candy mints!). And I laughed with joy when the receptionist told me “There is no charge for your visit today!”
- Talking with a friend who was down, and planning to spend a day with her.
- Finishing the laundry!
- Talking to my sister.
- Writing this blog post! I’m joyful when I am using the talents God has given me and I pray what I write gives you joy and encouragement, as well.
- Making and enjoying a (to me) gourmet dish of pasta, fresh asparagus, and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
(I’m also blogging at Home is Where the Mom Is .
Click over to read “Just five Minutes? Twenty-five Things You Can Do.”)