Sunday, October 19, 2008

It's the Little Things that Count

I was listening to the radio today, and heard a pastor who shared some important thoughts. I don't know his name, but love his Australian accent! His main point was this: Live as to be missed when you're gone. And he meant missed in a good way!

He pointed out the fact that we don't have to do "big" things to be important or to make an impact on someone. He said that we are doing God's work when we use kind words, make quick calls, and write short notes.

I don't know about you, but I often think that what I do doesn't "matter" unless it impacts many people, or is newsworthy. I forget (as I think we all do) that the little things matter--a note of encouragement to someone who is going through a hard time, a call to a lonely friend or relative, just to say "Hi! How are you doing? I'm thinking of you!", a plate of cookies for people who are working hard--even if you bought the dough already made and just had to scoop it out and bake it.

I don't know why I'm surprised that these little gestures matter--my day is brightened by a simple e-mail from a friend, or even a smile from a stranger during a bad day. Last week one day I talked to both of my sisters AND my mom--all on the same day! It was the best day of the week. I don't remember what we talked about, but it made my day to talk to all of them.

One of my goals this week is to brighten someone's day, every day, with a small gesture. I know that by brightening someone else's day, I'll also brighten my own day. And hopefully . . . I will be missed when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!